Born and bred in the steel working town of Scunthorpe and now residing in the county town of Kent, Maidstone. David John Lewis is a multi-disciplinary designer specialising in print and web.
Currently working as a graphic designer at Genesys, a specialist in telecommunication and customer experience (CX) software. David also works freelance as a designer at Baseline magazine, as well as with organisations local and national.
Awarded First Class Honours in BA Graphic Design: Visual Communication at the University for the Creative Arts. He found inspiration from guest speakers, challenging competitions, and working with friends to curate design exhibitions. During the summer break, he worked with HDR Visual Communication to deliver Munich ’72 Design Legacy Exhibition and Symposium.
In his final year, David ran as a candidate in the Students’ Union elections to which gained him success by becoming a Sabbatical Officer (Vice-President) for UCA students, as well as Chair of the Executive Committee and Trustee of UCASU. Responsible for representing the students’ voice, provide welfare, conduct research – to hold the university to account, and advise on how to improve the student experience.
Through 2014–15 David was employed as Junior Designer at HDR Visual Communications / Baseline, under the direction of Hans Dieter Reichert, with the opportunity to contribute to the internationally renown typographic magazine Baseline – namely elements such as the creating and editing content for the website, blog, Twitter and Facebook. Production of Special 08: Frank Guille as well as the editorial design of Baseline 63. Having made a special connection with the publication David continues on an ad-hoc basis.
Awards and experience:
- Graphic Designer – Genesys
- Creative consultant – Moonlight Collective
- Creative consultant – Zoë Sparkle Event Management / OneMaidstone
- Graphic Designer – SpeechStorm
- Winning entry – best app concept while participating at Upload:Live by Free:Formers and Barclays Digital Eagles at Barclays HQ, London, 2014.
- Junior Designer – HDR Visual Communication / Baseline Magazine
- Students’ speech of thanks – graduation ceremony at the Royal Festival Hall, London, in the presence of Zandra Rhodes, UCA leadership and audience of 2000 (graduates and parents)
- Organiser and participant – Spectrum Degree Show at the Rag Factory, Brick Lane, 2013.
- Winning entry – Donkey Skin/Peu D’Ane poster competition by ACT (A Common Territory) network, selected under the European cross-border cooperation programme INTERREG IV A France (Channel) – England, co-funded by the ERDF, 2013.
- Curator’s assistant – Munich ’72 Design Legacy Exhibition and Symposium at UCA Canterbury. UCA/Baseline 2012.
- Organiser and participant – Ink, exhibiting individual and collaborative work of four design students, UCA 2012.